Friday, March 22, 2013

Freankenweenie process


I posted this image on my tumblr with a pretty big chunk of words, and I thought it may be worth posting here too. 

There is SOOOOO much wrong with this painting. But in the interest of full disclosure, I put it up. it just shows how much I’ve struggled with constructing space. Most of my paintings started off like the image on top, where I really had to fight to figure out what was going on.

Nowadays, I would have approached this image very differently, but the experience was invaluable. There was no way I was going to let on that they may have made a mistake hiring me, so I had to learn quickly. Anyway, I’ve kept a lot of my “graphs” just so I remember that I’m probably never going to get a task that’s easy, and so now whenever I get an assignment I try to not be scared and just attack it. It doesn’t work out all the time, but I end up learning a lot!

8 comments:

Amy Kim said...

It's always interesting to see how people approach moment pieces. I know some people who need to actually draw out every little detail out while others just attack it by laying down shapes and values for placement... I still struggle when creating moment pieces but doing these types of comps or "graphs" really does help a lot! Thanks for sharing these! Way back when I was a young naive art student, I used to think professionals could knock a moment piece down in one go. It's always a pleasure to see process work from you guys!

Phil Spehar said...

Cool, so great to see your process! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I watched this last night! Thanks so much for sharing your process!

Daniel McGowan said...

It is really cool to see this kinda stuff from artists you admire. I struggle with creating space as well. It would be cool to see more of these! Im really lovin this blog, and thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know, I've been lurking on your tumblr now and am super glad to have found you through blogger! Your works are huge inspiration and I've been collecting them due to their level of awesome in composition and color theory.

Keep up the good work and thanks so much for sharing your work process! It's been helping me build up my Calarts portfolio in more ways than one. :)

Unknown said...

Just found your blog from CartoonBrew. Glad to keep in touch, you're an awesome artist!

Cris Arroyo said...

I cannot believe I am actually seeing the process of creation of a part of Frankenweenie, it is like being shown how a magic trick works.
Thank you very much for sharing, I really admire your work :)

Stephan said...

Thanks for the insight!